June 9, 2010

DIY tile transfer, or "how to make your oven stinky"

I came across a DIY tile transfer project via One Pretty Thing that I wanted to try, but I lacked the motivation for getting into the car to drive to the home improvement store to buy a single tile for 50-cents.  Instead, I had some slate kicking around that I figured would be neat to try a black-on-gray transfer.  The results: a rough start, but a better than expected final product. Here's how it all rolled out:


I followed the directions from the online tutorial which called for ModPodge on the front of the medium and then again on the laser print-out.  You then sandwich the two items together, bake it in the oven and then delicately rub off the paper with water until the image appears.


I wont lie: my oven stunk after baking the slate.  This is probably because I used outdoor-grade MP instead of regular, so lesson learned.  I also mistakenly trimmed the image when I should have let it cover the entire slate.


Disliking the initial results, I flipped to the reverse side of the slate, started over and covered the entire area with the paper. 


The results were a million times better and I liked the oxidized/grainy look.  This probably and shouldn't be the case if you used a light colored tile for your transfer, but I'm digging this vintage appeal.


Now onto de-stinking my oven.
Photobucket

10 comments:

Lindsay - Pen and Paint said...

I used MP for all my paintings and remain to have a love/hate relationship.

This sounds like a fun project - the stink :)

Unknown said...

adorable! It looks actually like it's been around forever! great project!

hugs! Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Two Little Tots said...

i love it! what a great project...my list is getting too long for all of the DIY stuff!

Mandy England said...

Haha, loveee the title of this blog :] And I love this project! The second one turned out so well- I really want to try it. Never used modpodge before, though. . .

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Love it, looks really retro and came out great!

Lelan @ Good Gravy! said...

Thanks, all! Luckily, the stink didn't last too long. :)

JULIAN & Co. said...

I love this! Yours turned out fantastic.

ThatsWhatSheSaid said...

Housewarming gift this for me...please :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Ooh slate is such a great idea! That turned out so cool. Thanks so much for sharing this version, I'll be linking.

lindsey Kemp said...

another thing you could try if you don't want to bake the slate is doing about six coats of matte medium on the image (alternating horizontal and vertical strokes in each layer).

once it's dry, soak the paper in warm water. once it's wet, rub the paper off with your fingers (it takes a while to get it ALL off) the matte medium will turn a little white, but it turns back to translucent when it dries.

after you have your image removed from the paper (it will look like a clear sheet with just the image attached) you can put a coat of matte medium on just about anything to adhere the image to it.